(O)maha

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Mon Mar 22 10:26:09 UTC 2004

Let me just add a couple things:

1) Aux Mahas would be perfectly good French for referring to where these
folks lived/or where you, as a French person, was heading. We see this
form *very often* in the Illinois Country, for example

2) Aux Pes, Aux Mis, Aux Cas, Aux Poux, Aux Ouias, oh oh oh.

Marquette wrote < Maha > on his map of the Mississippi, a name he got from
the Illinois-speaking Peoria.

Michael McCafferty