(O)maha

Alan Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Mon Mar 22 22:34:08 UTC 2004

Koontz John E wrote:

> I should have listed ppadhiN(-)(u?)maNhaN as a form with -maNhaN.  I don't
> recall at the moment what the precise form is, or even if it is attested
> for Skiri in Omaha-Ponca.  I think it is.

< Fr Panimaha (1687), perhaps via Illinois pa:nimaha, < a Dhegiha word
(cf. Quapaw ppanimáha, Omaha & Osage ppádhiNmaNhaN, Kansa ppáyiNmáhaN)
meaning 'upstream Pawnees'

based on Papers 31st Algonquian Conf. (2000) 39 (D. Costa), and on Hdbk.
N. Amer. Indians XIII. (2001) 545 (D. Parks)

The OP form is in Dorsey 1890. Note also Creek Pa-ni-ma-hu and Shawnee
pa:nimoho.

Alan