(O)maha

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Tue Mar 23 11:16:02 UTC 2004

Speculation upon speculation, the gateway to all delusion!

But here goes:

My sense is that the Michigamea, although as John has pointed out the
evidence is muy thin, were Dhegiha speakers and, as the Old Illinois
name for the Ohio River /akaansasiipi/ indicates, the Dhegiha were
associated with the Ohio River at least by the second half of the 17th
century, and they might have been the folks who build Angel Mounds and/or
the Caborn-Welborn folks (although there is certainly no agreement on
that among archaeologists, many of whom like to see all of Middle
Mississippian as Muskogean. But anyway...). Right down the river from
these sites (which are in extreme southwestern Indiana) one finds on the
right side of the Ohio (going downstream) cave country (Cave-in-Rock of
Walt Disney's Davy Crockett fame is one of these well known caves). But
the hill country of southern Illinois near the Ohio has many a cave and
rock shelter.

Michael