(O)maha

Alan Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Wed Mar 24 15:00:38 UTC 2004

Michael Mccafferty wrote:

> If anyone knows, I'm interested in "Pah8tet". Many of these show up Parks
> and DeMaillie's volume of HNAI, so perhaps I should check that first.

Besides the cites in HAI, this is what I've got:

PAHOJA				NEWS drafting, etym.

 From the Iowa self-designation p(h)axodz^e; cf. Otoe pa:xodz^e and
related Dhegiha names.

note: the meanings 'gray noses/heads' (with initial p aspirated) and
'gray snow' (initial unaspirated) are phonetically permissible if not
semantically convincing.

[based on emails from John Koontz and Robt. Rankin, 3-4 Mar. 99, and on
Hdbk. N. Amer. Indians XIII. (2001) 446/1]

---

1673 J. MARQUETTE ms. map of Mississippi River reproduced in Coll. Hist.
Soc. Wisconsin XVI. (1902) fol. p. 88
Pah8tet

1844 J. H. CARLETON Prairie Logbooks (1983) 66
The Indian name of this tribe is Pa-ha-cae; literally, Dirty Faces. They
neither call themselves Ioways, nor are they called so by their neighbours.
ahh 04/2002

1853 H. R. SCHOOLCRAFT Indian Tribes III. 262
The Iowas are, among themselves, and also among the neighboring tribes,
called "Pa hu cha," or "Dusty nose." When they separated from the first
Indian tribe, or family, to hunt game, their first location was near the
mouth of a river, where there were large sand bars, from which the wind
blew quantities of sand or dust upon their faces

1858 H. LUDEWIG Literature Amer. aboriginal Languages 140
OTO... They are divided into Otoes and Pahoja.

Alan