oak (-tree)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sun Mar 28 19:25:07 UTC 2004

Actually, by chance we had discussion of oak terms not too long ago,
probably just before Alfred joined the list.  They were of particular
interest because they sometimes involve multiple morphemes for 'tree'.
This discussion can be retrieved from the archives of the Siouan list
maintained at the LinguistList site (http://www.linguistlist.org).

The address for searching the Siouan list (a good candidate for a favorite
or even a desktop link)  is:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?S1=siouan

This turns up, for example:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0401&L=siouan&P=R3934
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0401&L=siouan&P=R4413

Incidentally, if searching for plant terms in Buechel in the English
index, look under one of the "list" entries, e.g., "tree" in this case.  I
keep a list of lists on p. 660 for those cases where I forget the keyword
Buechel uses!

I also recommend Bruce Ingham's English to Teton dictionary (and
Williamson's English to Santee).

At various points Jan Ullrich and Connie Chmelnitsky have had online
versions of the dictionary they are working on.

Gilmore's Uses of Plants by the Indians of the Missouri River Region is in
print I think, and available from the University of Nebraska Press.  It
looks like it's about $10 through various online vendors.  I'm not sure
how accessible this makes it outside of North America, however.