oak (-tree)

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Mon Mar 29 06:22:43 UTC 2004

Thanks to all you folks for the input! My fault to being discouraged
when - about a year ago and still unfamiliar with Buechel's dictionary -
I couldn't retrieve this entry, and didn't try it again later :( (maybe,
because it felt quite plausible that the D. had dropped this word).

It seems that the word _u'tahu_ is composed of _u'ta_ - the hazelnut;
acorns - and _hu_ - stem - (-> tree).

_itu'hu_ maybe is 'wild tree' (wildly grown stem). Were there any trees
cultivated by the Dakotas??

I also am wondering whether the expression for
_itu'hu_ - a stone used to break bones or pound berries; the frontal (B)
is nothing but a homophone.

Again, many thanks!

Alfred