St. Louis?

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 29 17:08:40 UTC 2004

All I know about the name for St. Louis in Algonquian is that the Shawnee
name for it is peenhko (Gatschet's <pê'nkû>), and the Mesquakie form is
pe:ko:neki (a locative). These are apparently borrowings from French 'Pain
Court'. However, it's been so long since I thought about this, I can't
remember at the moment why it was named after 'Pain Court', or what 'Pain
Court' really meant. I think somewhere there's an article that explains
this. Bob, does this ring a bell?

Dave Costa