St. Louis?

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Mon Mar 29 17:56:59 UTC 2004

Pain Court means "short bread".

There is a folk-etymology roaming around (perhaps in the article
referenced below) that says that the term means "short of bread".
But that's just what it is.

The name means "short bread". I believe the name occurs elsewhere in
the Francophone word, maybe in Ontario. It is not a surname as far as I
know.

Michael