Michigamea (Re: (O)maha)

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 29 19:52:50 UTC 2004

There isn't any Algonquian negative /wi(i)/ that I'm aware of, at least not
a prefix, which is what seems to be present here. There is a SUFFIX /-w-/
which characterizes the negative in Eastern Algonquian languages, and which
co-occurs with the negative suffix /-si(i)/ in Ojibwe and Miami, but nothing
at the front of words like this. Whatever the Michagamea <we-> is, it's
probably homegrown Siouan.

Dave