Michigamea (Re: (O)maha)

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Mon Mar 29 22:57:50 UTC 2004

I think I remember that the Illinois-French dictionary commonly attributed
to Jacques Gravier has a few *Illinois* language dialect terms associated
by the compiler(s) of that dictionary with the Metchigamea, as, at some
point, they or some of them, became Illinois speakers. That doesn't help,
of course, the putative Siouan origin for their ancestral tongue.

Michael