St. Louis?

Anthony Grant Granta at edgehill.ac.uk
Tue Mar 30 11:05:26 UTC 2004

Apparently, according to Allan, because bread was in short supply there.  But his explanation of the name struck me as ill-formed in French when I first read the article soe years back (in your sitting room!) and it still strikes me as junk.  Maybe if they made bread in in short loaves rather than in baguettes, that would be feasible.

'Shortening' and thereby 'shortbread' has nothing to do qwith shortness; shortening means mixing fat into dough. | 'Shortnin' Bread' may lie behind the 1959 #1 hit 'The Happy Organ' by Dave 'Baby' Cortez (which never got anywhere in the UK).

Anthony

>>> pankihtamwa at earthlink.net 29/03/2004 19:11:51 >>>
Yes, but WHY was St. Louis called 'short bread'? That was what I was
wondering.

David