St. Louis?

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Mar 31 07:26:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Rory M Larson wrote:
> Well here's an outside possibility!  There is an entry in
> Francis La Flesche's Osage dictionary:
>
>     zhiN'da, it was not.
>
> I've never run across this in OP, and there doesn't seem
> to be any elaboration on it in the Osage dictionary either.

I'm pretty sure that this is an example of a class of form sometimes found
in LaFlesche's work - the Osage dicitonary or glossing of Omaha songs in
Fletcher & LaFlesche, etc., that arises from trying to make sense of a
segment of a larger sequence without parsing it properly.

In this case, I suspect the negative enclitic =(a)z^i has been fused with
some following element.  I don't know what the following element is, these
enclitic complexes being one of the places where the various Dhegiha
languages differ strongly, and the context being absent.  However, I did
find iN-da, glossed 'I am', which is also fairly improbable.  To be
perfectly fair Dorsey does this sort of thing, too, but I usually
encounter it in his work in texts where it is easier to correct for.