St. Louis - Pain Court; Ndeck and Other ppahV forms.

Alan Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Wed Mar 31 14:58:16 UTC 2004

Koontz John E wrote:

> I don't actually know the first date of attestation of 'redneck' in
> English, though perhaps the OED does.

U.S. A member of the white rural labouring class of the southern States;
one whose attitudes are considered characteristic of this class; freq.,
a reactionary. Originally, and still often, derogatory, but now also
used with more sympathy for the aspirations of the rural American.

1830 A. ROYALL Southern Tour I. 148 This may be ascribed to the Red
Necks, a name bestowed upon the Presbyterians in Fayetteville.
1893 H. A. SHANDS Some Peculiarities of Speech in Mississippi 53
Red-neck,..a name applied by the better class of people to the poorer
inhabitants of the rural districts.
1904 Dialect Notes II. 420 Redneck, n., An uncouth countryman. 'The
hill-billies came from the hills, and the rednecks from the swamps.'

etc.

The current revision hasn't reached R, so there may well be earlier
examples (perhaps including Episcopalians and animists).

Alan