Fwd: Tutelo & Miami

Tony Schiavo EvolPub at aol.com
Mon May 3 02:43:45 UTC 2004

I was forwarded your discussion about Tutelo in the Ohio Valley area. My
apologies if I'm going over old ground here; I tuned in late and may have
missed the good stuff.

In the 1674 letter of Abraham Wood describing the Needham-Arthur expedition
over the Alleghenies, there's the following indication that Tutelo-Saponi
was spoken along the Kanawha: "Now ye king must goe to give ye monetons a
visit which were his frends, mony signifying water and ton great in theire
language." I once thought these Monetons may have been a displaced
remnant--however, I'm not aware of any evidence that the Iroquois were
attacking the Tutelo prior to the displacement of the Susquehannock around
1674-5. They were however, raiding on the Ohio years earlier. If anything,
tribes would have been fleeing from the Ohio Valley, not into it from the
Piedmont which seems to have been relatively untouched at this date.

This may have been covered by Huberto Dixon, but there's a tradition
reported around 1845 in the Buffalo Commercial Advertiser as follows: "The
Indians hereabouts believe that a small remnant of the Eries still exist
beyond the Mississippi. The small tribe known as the Quapaws in that region,
are also believed to be remains of the Kaukwaus, the allies of the Eries."

Though this may well be a late folk etymology, it looks plausible. (Lahontan
says because Iroquoian lacked labials French "Ponchartrain" was pronounced
"Conchartrain"). Interestingly the Quapaw apparently used longhouse
dwellings (Bonnie McEwan "Indians of the Greater Southeast", p.
185.)--something I'd like to do a bit homework on.

Dixon's paper on Siouan in the Ohio Valley was mentioned--would someone
kindly provide the reference for that?

-Claudio Salvucci
Evolution Publishing