'eight' some more

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon May 3 13:20:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Michael Mccafferty wrote:
> John Koontz:
> > What is the date of the Indiana Miami and Wea?  My understanding is that
> > at present MI communities in Oklahoma crosscut the Miami vs. Illinois
> > distinction.  In other words, only the Indiana Miami and Wea communities
> > would be Miami without Illinois population infusions?  However, ... in her
> > atlas suggests ...

I had meant to hold this and post it after filling in the blanks.  I
accidentally posted it instead.

The last sentence was supposed to read "However, Helen Hornbeck Tanner, in
her Atalas of Great Lakes Indian History, suggests ..."  However, I was
misremembering the source, which is actually Charles Callender's article
Miami in HBNAI, Vol. 15, p. 687.  "In 1846 the army forcibly removed the
Miami from Indiana, although about half the tribe evaded the troops.
Resettled in Kansas, they continued to decline.  Their catastrophic loss
of population after removal may parly reflect a surreptitious movement
back to Indiana, although they also received increments from that area.
The Kansas group eventually moved to northeast Oklahoma, where int he
1870s they joined the confederacy that the Wea and PIankashaw had already
established with the Peoria."  In other words, there might be mechanisms
by which Illinois influence could be conveyed to Indiana Miami.