'eight' some more

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Tue May 4 16:06:46 UTC 2004

@!#$%&,  I knew that if I rejoined this thread I'd have to retype my whole 1980
paper.  :-)   OK, here is the progression reproduced from Swanton et al.  I'm
sure we've been thru this before, but I can't remember when.

Start with:
mosopelea       in various spellings as Michael points out.  On the Ohio R.
1. SIOUAN LANGUAGES VARIABLY TRANSFER NASALITY OFF THE V IN /wVN/ sequences.
2. BILOXI AND OFO LOSE INITIAL *m- AND *w-.  (there are many noun examples)
  ouispe             Iberville 1699
  oussipe           Penicaut  1700
  ounspik          Gravier   1700
  onspee           LaHarpe  1722
  ouesperie       Coxe   1741  (some of these forms account for the missing
original -lea ending)
  ouespere        Coxe  1741
  u$pi               Swanton 1909 (Tunica for the Ofo)
  u$pie             Swanton 1912

Ofo changes /s/ to /f/ fairly late, because Ossogoula is also attested for them
(presumably from Muskogean speakers, given the -goula ending).

There's more, but I've gotta run to class now.  Maybe I should redo the paper
for the Siouan conference.

Anyhow, I have problems with moose-turkey as an ethnonym even if they are
possible clan names.

Bob