Companion Terms for 7 and 8 (Re: 'eight' some more)

Mary Marino mary.marino at usask.ca
Wed May 5 21:12:16 UTC 2004

Fr Valentin Vegreville gives the form caGuweG  for "seven".  (His head
entry is Sept, ou sept fois)  (G = g with a superscript dot, which I take
to be a velar fricative)    He compiled his 'Lexique' , seemingly, in
1876-77 when he was at the Lac-Ste-Anne parish in Alberta.  The form is
presumably Stoney, though he himself uses the term Assiniboine.   "Six ou
six fois"  is caGpeG.   His <c>, by the way, = s^.

         Mary