Companion Terms for 7 and 8 (Re: 'eight' some more)

ROOD DAVID S rood at spot.Colorado.EDU
Thu May 6 19:54:12 UTC 2004

John, I have only been following this discussion a little bit, since it's
final exam time.  This mentioned Wichita, however, and I remember that
there was some theory about one of the Dhegia languages borrowing Wichita,
so here's the Wichita data, if it's worth anything:
	The numbers 6,7,8 are built on 1,2,3 with a prefix kiyah- which
doesn't seem to mean anything recoverable now (a homonym meaning 'who?,
someone' is an unlikely source). (* is high pitch on preceding vowel)
	six: ki*yehess  ('one' is chi7ass; the 7ass is the numeral)
	seven kiya*hwic ('two' is wic)
	eight kiya*tawha ('three' is tawha, final vowel voiceless)

	'nine' is 'one is missing' and ten is long but unanalyzeable.

	David

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado