Tentative Program

Catherine Rudin/HU/AC/WSC CaRudin1 at wsc.edu
Tue May 11 20:59:30 UTC 2004

OK, here's a first draft of the Siouan and Caddoan Languages Conference
program, just to give you an idea how it's looking.
Comments/suggestions/additions welcome.  So far there are 14 papers, one
"mini-presentation", and two "round tables".  A couple of other people have
indicated they might want to present something but haven't given me a
title; I haven't put them in the list here, but there's room to add them.
(And for anyone else out there who might be thinking of coming ... we could
fit in a few late submissions; just drop me a note.)
    For the round tables what I have in mind is 2 or 3 or 4 short
presentations setting out the issues, segueing into general discussion.
I've put these at the end of each day so as to leave the time for
discussion flexible.  Each one has two "startoff presenters" listed now --
anyone else want to volunteer?
    And while I'm asking for volunteers, I guess we could be formal and
have session chairs.  Anyone want to do that?
   I'll send out a more detailed version with times and room numbers and
such when the time is closer.

- - -
24th Siouan and Caddoan Languages Conference
Tentative Program

THURSDAY, JUNE 10, evening
Informal get-together at Catherine's house

FRIDAY, JUNE 11
MORNING:

Thaddeus C. Grimm
Wichita, KS
"The Glottal Stop in Siouan Languages -- A Review"

John Koontz
Boulder, CO
"Reconstructing Some Mississippi Valley Kinterms"

Corey Telfer
University of Calgary
The History of Lakhota a-final Roots

Mary Marino
University of Saskatchewan
"The French-Assiniboine Lexique of Fr Valentin Vegreville, OMI"

Carolyn Quintero
University of Oklahoma
Mini-presentation:  "Guns"

FRIDAY AFTERNOON:

Rory Larson
University of Nebraska, Lincoln
"Acculturation Terms in Omaha: Forms of Derivation"

Carolyn Quintero
University of Oklahoma
"Osage Dictionary"

Mark Awakuni-Swetland
University of Nebraska, Lincoln
"I am Looking for the Middle Ground / Tónde indónbe khe ubthíxide"
      *overhead projector

ROUNDTABLE: language teaching issues, native vs. academic expectations &
concerns, language "ownership" building on Mark's presentation
      Mark Awakuni-Swetland (University of Nebraska)
      Vida Stabler  (Umonhon Nation School)

Dean's reception?

SATURDAY, JUNE 12, MORNING

Randolph Graczyk
"Topics in Crow Morphology:  Reduplication and Possessive Reflexive"

Linda Cumberland
Indiana University
"Specificity and Definiteness in Assiniboine"

Regina Pustet
"Aspect Marking in Lakota"

Bruce Ingham
SOAS London
"Nature and Use of the Independent Personal Pronouns in Lakota"

SATURDAY AFTERNOON:

Robert Rankin
U. Kansas
"Active/Stative in Ohio Valley Siouan"

David Rood
U. Colorado
"Wichita Word Formation"

John Boyle
University of Chicago
"A Comparative look at aru-/ala- and aku-/ak- in Missouri Valley Siouan"

ROUNDTABLE:   Clause Structure in Siouan
      Catherine Rudin (Wayne State College)
      John Boyle (University of Chicago)

Group dinner ... The Uptown?

SUNDAY MORNING ?
    business meeting?  Over breakfast at the coffeehouse?
    More sessions?  (If more papers come in...)
    We could have the second roundtable Sunday morning.  Or just quit and
let those driving head for home... and those flying out later visit the
local attractions :)
    In any case, the conference will end by noon Sunday at the latest.