reduplication

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed May 12 23:41:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004 Rgraczyk at aol.com wrote:
> I'm doing something on reduplication in Crow for the Siouan/Caddoan
> conference, and would like to include a brief survey of reduplication in
> other Siouan languages.  I have little or no information on Dhegiha,
> Winnebago and Chiwere.  How does reduplication work in these languages?

One place with OP and Wi examples (albeit some of them misanalyzed) is the
old Siouan survey article in HBNAIL, by Swanton and Boas.  In OP there are
no CVC roots for purposes of reduplication.  Reduplication is of roots,
not stems, e.g., an instrumental stem reduplicates its root, not the whole
stem.  An exception is es^e's^e 'you keep saying' < es^e' 'you say'.  A
C1V1C2V2 root reduplicates as C1V1C1V1C2C2.  C1E roots reduplicate as
C1aC1a, e.g., sasa < se.  In this case se is really only found as an
instrumental root (e.g., ga'se 'cut with a blow', we'base 'saw', etc.) and
as a redplicated root sasa 'cut'.  It process is essentially a way of
making a distributive stem, and while it is not exactly pervasive, I think
it is productive, or was in the 1800s.  The examples in Dorsey seem
spontaneous, not lexicalized.  See, for example, the cases occuring in my
recent post on /the/ vs/ /dhaN/.

JEK