reduplication

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Thu May 13 14:40:27 UTC 2004

Randy,

What is true for John's Omaha examples is also true for Kansa.  I did not get a
lot of reduplication, but when I did, it seemed mostly to signal iterative
aspect.  Only root CV sequences are reduplicated.  The verb 'say' may follow the
Omaha pattern in Kaw -- I'm not sure.  If it does, it's for the same reason as
in Omaha, namely that the inflected forms have become opaque and second person
/$-/ is mistaken for part of the root.

(The re-analyzed and reduplicated 'say' forms are the ones that give those
wonderful examples in Dakota like "Oompapa" /uNphapha/ which should mean
something like 'I keep telling the two of us'.  Here, 1st person /p-ha/ is from
underlying *w-ha 'I-say'.)

I can try to find some examples if you like.

Bob