reduplication

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Fri May 14 20:34:46 UTC 2004

Re: John's comment of 'distributive/iterative' uses of redup in Omaha.

It's probably important to check on the (inherent?) aspect of the verb in
question in each instance as a part of determining the semantics of
reduplication in Omaha and other Dhegiha.  It may well be different for active
and stative verbs at the very least.  I'm not fond of the "accomplishments",
"achievements", etc. classification because of semantic overlap among the
categories, but it might provide further classification.  Randy ought to have an
interesting paper.  I'm eager to see what he's learned.