Siouan and Iroquoian

Wallace Chafe chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Sat May 22 17:00:33 UTC 2004

I was interested to see the PMV reconstruction =xti(N), because this is one
of those intriguing resemblances between Siouan and Iroquoian, where in the
latter there's an intensifier with the form =hji. (No nasalization, but
Iroquoian doesn't have a nasalized I.) I guess you'd call it fossilized
too, in the sense that it only occurs with a few established forms.
Particularly intriguing is the combination -keN-hji, which is an Iroquoian
stem meaning "old" as applied to a human. How widespread in Siouan is -kaN-
"old"?

Wally