different incorporations.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sun May 30 14:19:48 UTC 2004

I think it's often impossible to distinguish so-called syntactic from lexical
incorporation in Siouan because, for many verbs, the two processes give
homophonous results.  Skata/$kata does have two forms, distinguished by accent,
but the fact that both have phonological truncation strongly suggests that there
is not a hard-and-fast line between the two types of incorporation, and, that,
in fact, what we have is a continuum between what were earlier and later
lexicalizations of particular compounds.  Given the lexeme-by-lexeme nature of
compound formation, this would not be surprising.

You gonna give us a preview of your solution, Wim?  :-)