'eight' some more

Michael Mccafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Tue May 4 14:01:36 UTC 2004

Alan,

Yeah, no doubt it's unusual. In fact, Bob joked a couple of years ago
about this and suggested that it reminded him of a jackalope. My sense is
that it may not even be one word but two. It's hard to say, since the -8-
could stand for /-wa/ or the contraction /-o(o)/. However, to someone who
knows Miami-Illinois and the the historical sources of that language,
<MONS8PELEA> jumps out as clearly as, say, "Jacksonsville" would to a
speaker of English.

Michael