Companion Terms for 7 and 8 (Re: 'eight' some more)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed May 5 22:11:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004 Rgraczyk at aol.com wrote:
> > 'seven'   *s^aako'wiN
> The Crow forms are:
> sa'hpua 'seven'
>
> I would suggest that the 'seven' form may be (at least partially) cognate.
> Crow does not allow kp clusters morpheme-internally, so kp > hp.  Then, long
> vowels are shortened before h (sa'ah > sa'h).

Yes, I think that's right.  Bob's covered this territory before, of
course, but I was misremembering when I said I thought there was nothing
similar in this range in CH and Mandan.  The Crow 'seven' form is
especially similar to the PS form IO suggests, *s^aakwaN.  I seem to
recall that final ua and ia suggest final h, i.e., ...ua < ...uh-a and
...ia < ...ih-a or something like that?