Companion Terms for 7 and 8.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Fri May 7 00:57:24 UTC 2004

> > I also wonder about the *s^aak- element that is so common in Siouan
> higher digits.  Could it be *s^aak < **kyaak?

Just *$aake 'hand' is good and sufficient.  And the cognate sets show this WAS
the original 'hand' term.  NaNpe is just the MVS replacement.  I have a paper on
these higher numerals from some years back too.  Actually most of the quinary
counting systems in eastern north america are only partially quinary.  7 and 8
are the most common, 6, 7, and 8 are next.  "Nine" seldom participates and is
often "one missing".  My paper hypothesized that the system in MVS makes the
best sense when understood as part of the Plains Sign Language hand signals for
the numbers.  It too was pre-computer so I'll have to retype it someday.

The Kaw for 8 is kkiyadoba or kkiadoba.  I suspect this is from that Wichita
form.

Bob