Companion Terms for 7 and 8 (Re: 'eight' some more)

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sun May 9 14:27:28 UTC 2004

> . . . possible that *s^aakpe might be *s^aak-we, and that the *we might be
> essentially wiN or waN 'one'.   I think Bob pursued the matter further, though
not necessarily in this
> direction.  As I recall it, his hypothesis is that the forms are not
> *s^aak 'hand' + numeral, but *s^aak 'hand' + description of gesture made
> with hand to indicate the numeral in question.  There are various hand
> counting systems that involve using only one hand, and after doing 1-5
> with fingers in some way making some differentiating gestures to handle
> 6-10.  I wish I knew of a survey of such systems - if one exists!

As I recall, my essential point was that, if you use the Plains Sign Language
system for the numerals, then the number 6 is (re)interpretable as simply the
second fist (with a nearly invisible thumb actually counting for the numeral).
Then 7 extends one VISIBLE finger, giving the morpheme /-wiN/  'one'.  And so
forth.  The problem was figuring out what kind of a counting system would
incorporate 'one' in 'seven' instead of 'six', and the hand signs accomplished
that.

The analysis may be a bit strained, but I still find it attractive.  It's clear
they were using the hand signs since 'nine' is something like /naNpciyuNka/ 'one
in the palm' [the little finger] if memory serves.  'Ten', then, involves all
the fingers extended on both hands.

'Eight' is odd man out.  What is the meaning of -loghaN/-yoghaN of /$aglogaN/??
If I ever knew, I've forgotten.