Companion Terms for 7 and 8 (Re: 'eight' some more)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sun May 9 23:03:31 UTC 2004

On Sun, 9 May 2004, R. Rankin wrote:
> The -pe of $akpe is just as mysterious as the *hpe- of the seven/eight numerals
> in Dhegiha.  They may even be the same morpheme.  I have no answer there.

I was wondering about that, but bothered by *hpe vs. *-pe.  Now it occurs
to me that one possible explanation of *hpe is *kpe, perhaps from
*s^aakpe, cf. Mandan ku'pa 'seven' ?< PreMA *saakupa, cf. PS *s^aakowiN.
In this case one would have to assume that the pattern in Dhegiha was
modified along arithmetical lines:

    PMV              PDh

 1  *wiN'            *wiN
 2  *nuNuN'pa        *ruNuN'pa