OP /the/ vs. /dhaN/ (fwd)

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Fri May 21 14:00:37 UTC 2004

This would really be helpful to me, as I (along with Carolyn Quintero, Justin
McBride, Kathy Shea and others) would have something to compare across
languages.  I'm still very curious to discover the extent to which these (and
other) nouns are assigned a non-changing class, or, alternatively, can be used
with different articles depending on position.  'Tree/log', 'head/nose',
'house/camp-circle' already suggested a certain amount of ossification in the
system, and this makes learning the proper "gender" for many nouns a matter of
priority.

Bob