Siouan and Iroquoian

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sun May 23 17:05:18 UTC 2004

Well, *-xti is clearly proto-Siouan.  I don't have /kan/ or anything similar for
'old' (but, of course, our coverage is far from exhaustive).

Nasalization is used for further intensification in both Siouan and Muskogean
sporadically.  Perhaps other Eastern language families as well.

John's given Siouan examples.  In Muskogean you have things like Creek /cotki/
'little', /cotkosi/ 'tiny', where /-osi/ is a diminutive ending, and then,
/cooNtkosi/ 'itsy bitsy' with extra high pitch (not to be confused with the
nasal aspectual grade that signals continuative).

We have a few other cognate sets in Siouan with "intrusive" nasalization
including the verb 'give'.

Bob