two, three, seven, eight

Anthony Grant Granta at edgehill.ac.uk
Tue Nov 9 15:35:13 UTC 2004

Rory - it's aspirated t.

Anthony

David wrote:
> In looking through my Biloxi dictionary, I've noticed the same words
seem
to be used for 'two' and 'seven', and for 'three' and 'eight'!  For
the
first pair it's noNpa; for the second it's dani.  Dorsey makes an
allusion
in the dictionary that seven is "two bones on the other hand" and eight
is
"three bones on the other hand."  I'm compiling a comparative wordlist
of
the Siouan languages I currently have info on (e.g., Hiraca, Dakota,
Hocak,
Biloxi, Ofo) and this doesn't seem to occur in these other languages.
Is
Biloxi a rarity in this, or are there examples from other Siouan
languages
that I don't have info on, or even from Muskogean?

I think this was actually discussed on the list, perhaps about
six months to a year ago.  This system certainly occurs in
Dhegiha, e.g. OP

    naNba      - 'two'        ppe'dhaNba     - 'seven'

    dha'bdhiN  - 'three'      ppedhabdhiN    - 'eight'

I don't think anyone knows what the ppe- element is, but it
presumably refers somehow to the first five.

> Another question relates to another possible case of borrowing
between
Cherokee, Biloxi, and Ofo (or southeastern in general, as in the case
of
'buffalo'): I'm not sure what "big" is in the other Siouan languages
(except I believe it's ixtia in Hiraca), but in Biloxi it's taN and
Ofo
ithoN.  This looks suspiciously similar to Cherokee utana.  I'm
wondering
if any of the Muskogeanists could enlighten me on "big" in Muskogean
languages.   Anyone have any ideas about this?

In proto-MVS, I believe 'big' is *htaN'ka.  In Dakotan it is
thaN'ka, and in OP it is ttaN'ga.  The final -*ka is probably
an enclitic, so the original root for 'big' ought to be *htaN,
which would match the Biloxi, and I suppose possibly the
Cherokee.  But this word is surely old in Siouan-- probably
at least 2000 years-- so if the Cherokee form is not just a
coincidence, then the borrowing must have gone from Siouan to
Cherokee, or else happened a very long time ago.

By the way, how is that Ofo version to be pronounced?  Is that
an aspirated 't' or an edh in /ithoN/ ?

Rory

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Edge Hill or associated companies.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible and delete it and all copies of it.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.

The message content of in-coming emails is automatically scanned to identify Spam and viruses otherwise Edge Hill do not actively monitor content.  However, sometimes it will be necessary for Edge Hill to access business communications during staff absence.

Edge Hill has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free.  However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Edge Hill for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
<<<<EdgeHill>>>>