Siouan and Iroquoian "buffalo"

Wallace Chafe chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Tue Nov 9 20:57:34 UTC 2004

Dave,

There are two Northern Iroquoian verb roots meaning "big". The most
widespread one is -owaneN- (nasalized e) or something similar, which I
believe shows up in all the languages. It refers not only to size but also
to importance. Seneca has a second one, -steN-, that refers only to the
size of physical objects and occurs only with incorporated noun roots. It
may be limited to Seneca. It would be nice if the Cherokee t were a w, but
I guess it isn't.

Wally