Order of verb affixes

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Thu Nov 11 15:22:00 UTC 2004

> I meant these would be potential kinds of evidence.  I don't know if this
> has happened with 'cook' or any other verb and I'm not at this point
> asserting that it has, though I seem to recall that cases exist of
> anomalies with o-initial verbs in Dakotan dialects that might suggest it.

Yeah, and if there is no analog of ohaN with, say, a- or i- in the language(s)
then the o- would get no reinforcement among speakers for its putative status as
a locative.  If, on the other hand, there IS an *ahaN or a *ihaN, then the
reinforcement would be there and o- could be "seen" by children acquiring the
language as a productive prefix.

B.