Order of verb affixes

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Nov 11 23:37:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, R. Rankin wrote:
> Yeah, and if there is no analog of ohaN with, say, a- or i- in the
> language(s) then the o- would get no reinforcement among speakers for
> its putative status as a locative.  If, on the other hand, there IS an
> *ahaN or a *ihaN, then the reinforcement would be there and o- could be
> "seen" by children acquiring the language as a productive prefix.

I've looked up the CSD set for 'boil, cook':

Cr bulu'a
Hi mi'rua; also ua 'make fire'
PCH *-u'a < **-u'ha   (prefix looks like *pr in PMV terms, or maybe
*pVr-, *wVr-; the vowel is predictable and is what happens in the first
person of r-stems, too)

Da o..haN'

OP u'haN
Ks ohaN
Os o'haN
Qu ohaN

IO uuhaN
Wi hohaN

PMV o'haN

Bi *haaN

Tu *hiiehaa

I'm not aware of any derivatives of underlying haN using other locatives,
but I haven't gone looking very far.  I can't find anything on anomalous
o-initial forms in Dakotan that matches what I remembered.

There is the business that some Dakotan forms occur with two o-locatives,
and one of these is oo'he 'a boiling, enough to boil at once' (Buechel).
I make 'enough to boil at once' out as 'a kettle-full' or 'a pot-full'.
The -aN > -e is because this is nominalized.  This occurs in Oo'henuNpa
'Two Kettles' the name of one of the Teton subdivisions.

It looks like there is at least a good chance that the o-initial is part
of the stem, but it also seems that all of the MV languages treat it as a
locative.