Benefactive Reflexives

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Tue Nov 16 15:22:48 UTC 2004

> For example, une 'to seek' yields ukkine with the reading 'to seek
> something for oneself' as opposed to 'to seek oneself' (with a strictly
> reflexive reading),

What is 'to seek oneself' in Omaha, then?

> I guess another difference is that the reading is 'for oneself' and not
> 'for someone (else)'.  For the latter purpose the forms are the simple
> datives (by memory) uine or giaghe (eppaghe, dhes^kaghe, giagha=i,
> iN(g?)agha=i) or gidhize (ebdhize, dhe(s^)nize, gidhiza=i, iNdhiza=i).

> This is probably a good point to recall that the morphology of the dative
> in Kaw and Osage and I think Quapaw is radically different from that in
> OP.

Kansa has the benefactive in /gu"/ in contrast to dative/possessive /gi/.

Is there something I'm missing here, or is the 'reflexive possessive' and the
'reflexive benefactive' the same?  Reflexive possessive (suus) was my first
guess at Catherine's form.  Are we just talking about a translation difference?
And I also wonder if we have plumbed the full set of possible causative forms
with the various KI's.