argument structure of k'u 'give'

Marianne Mithun mithun at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Thu Nov 18 18:59:58 UTC 2004

I think one thing we want to keep clear is the fact that the benefactive
prefix is a benefactive applicative, a derivational prefix that alters the
argument structure of the verb stem rather than representing an argument
directly. 'Give' typically doesn't appear with benefactive applicatives,
because it already has a beneficiary in its argument structure.
Applicatives add one. In some languages, applicatives are added only to
intransitive verbs, making them transitive. In others, applicatives can be
added to either intransitives or transitives. In these cases, there are
again two ways to go. The original object/absolutive/patient of the base
transitive can either stick around as an argument, or be displaced, ending
up as some kind of oblique or adjunct or 'chômeur'. The interesting thing
is that in a lot of situations, like here, it can be hard to tell what
happened, because inanimates are not represented on the verb by pronominal
affixes anyway. So Regina's example is especially nifty!

Marianne

--On Thursday, November 18, 2004 11:44 AM -0700 ROOD DAVID S