bird.

Marianne Mithun mithun at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Mon Nov 22 23:48:53 UTC 2004

That tsi- looks like the trace of a very old morpheme, no longer generally
segmentable and certainly not productive, that appears in numerous terms
for birds, bugs, and other such things. The -?t actually matches in form a
common nominalizer in the modern languages (which also systematically match
instrumental applicatives and causatives). So though this form is not
synchronically analyzable, I'd say there's good evidence that it was once
segmentable.

The Cherokee form looks like a lot of words through Iroquoian and beyond
for 'robin', one of those words that turns up all over the continent.
Mohawk for 'robin', for example, is tsiskó:ko.

Marianne

--On Monday, November 22, 2004 4:31 PM -0700 Koontz John E