bird.

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Tue Nov 23 15:07:56 UTC 2004

I agree that some element of sound symbolism may be involved, especially with
the Iroquoian/Algonquian similarity with this term.  But it doesn't preclude
borrowing, and, in fact, probably renders diffusion more likely.  I'm not so
sure about the words with /t/ rather than /c/ and I'm not convinced by the
specific Alabama "explanation".  If it were accurate, why isn't the Ala. form
/*ciskomma/??

And I always thought Cardinals said "Gwitsi, gwitsi, gwitsi" . . . .        :-)

bob