Order of verb affixes

are2 at buffalo.edu are2 at buffalo.edu
Wed Nov 10 05:32:12 UTC 2004

Rory,
Hey.  Just to be a bit anal about pronunciation, I'd
transcribe 'pepper' as WiukihoN (popular orth.) or wiukkihaN
(siouanist).  wi vs. we as a pronunciation is a bit arguable as it is
part of a glide here and as such is moving. It might be 'we' and
the 'u' raises it to sound like 'wi'.  'We' is fine by me.  The second
vowel should definitely be 'u' and not 'o' because 'o' is a very
limited phoneme in Omaha (only really on male endings - I mean
enclitics).
Cool etymology BTW!
-Ardis

PS
Ok for more needless babbling on sounds, you could compare this to
wiuga 'color' or 'crayon' which definitely sounds like /wiuga/
not /weuga/ but may well have developed from 'we' + 'uga' 'to
dye/color.'  We've always written wiuga as that is exactly how it
sounds.  There is always a question with writing how much historical
to include versus how phonetically accurate to be.  And always we make
compromises.  This comes up in class so much.  I guess my test is that
I leave it if I think it's going to help a second semester level
student to form alot of new words or be able to break down a bunch of
things easily in their heads but cut it if it is infrequent or
unproductive or used on less common nouns/phrases.  Also, I worry
about how screwy it's going to make the pronunciation when read
literally.  (we try to get a feel for how much the Native Speaker
breaks it down in their head.)  And often the Elder instructor will
say the word slowly a few times and they will make the decision (which
is the BEST). So, in the end I like weukihoN and wiukihoN but veto
weokihoN as it is less adequate phonetically (actual sounds) and
phonologically (in relation to the sound system overall in Omaha).
Now you see why I never write to the list.  Everything gets carried
away. Keep up the good work.