Benefactive Reflexives

lcumberl at indiana.edu lcumberl at indiana.edu
Tue Nov 16 04:04:05 UTC 2004

Quoting Koontz John E <John.Koontz at Colorado.EDU>:

> A question that came up off the list leads me to post the following
> concerning certain Omaha-Ponca forms that have a reflexive form, but a
> benefactive reading (reflexively benefactive, of course).  I was wondering
> if these occurred elsewhere in Siouan, e.g., in Dakota?

In Assiniboine I have one clear context-free example of such a form:

kiknaN'ka    'to put away/save for oneself'  from e'knaNka 'put'

Your other example, 'to seek', is one'; the ki- form is oki'ne, but it has
straight suus meaning: 'to look for one's own'.

kag^a 'make' behaves exceptionally with regard to the KI morphemes. ki'c^ag^a
alternates with ki'c^ic^ag^a, both meaning 'make for someone'. To my knowledge,
ka'g^a is the only verb that has alternate forms for the benefactive. 'Make for
oneself' is, as in your example, reflexive: ic^?i'c^agha, which does *not* mean
'make oneself'

I have to say that describing the KI morphemes almost cost me my sanity - it's a
very slippery category.

Linda