Benefactive Reflexives

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Nov 16 17:45:57 UTC 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 lcumberl at indiana.edu wrote:
> In Assiniboine I have one clear context-free example of such a form:
>
> kiknaN'ka    'to put away/save for oneself'  from e'knaNka 'put'

This is definitely the same kind of reading, but I think that kik- here
isn't a reflexive in morphological terms.  It's a suus form, right?
How's the simple stem inflected?  I'm wondering if it's underlyingly
a-(k)i-naNka?  Which it could be in Omaha-Ponca, but in that case the
reading would be a dative 'to put someone's on something; to put something
on something for someone'.  (And this stem doesn't have *-ka in OP,
either.)  (The datives are the ki's that contract with vowels in OP,
whereas it's the suus ki's that do that in Dakotan!)

> Your other example, 'to seek', is one'; the ki- form is oki'ne, but it has
> straight suus meaning: 'to look for one's own'.

The Dhegiha reflexive/reciprocal is kki- (written just ki- in the popular
OP orthographies), while the suus is gi- (written gi- ditto).  That
Dakotan ic^?i- is unique to Dakotan.  I think there's a Dakota reciprocal
in khi- (or is it ikhi-?) that is cognate with the Dhegiha reflexive.

> kag^a 'make' behaves exceptionally with regard to the KI morphemes.
> ki'c^ag^a alternates with ki'c^ic^ag^a, both meaning 'make for someone'.
> To my knowledge, ka'g^a is the only verb that has alternate forms for
> the benefactive. 'Make for oneself' is, as in your example, reflexive:
> ic^?i'c^agha, which does *not* mean 'make oneself'

Does kuNza have anything similar?