kicaga vs. kichaga

ROOD DAVID S rood at spot.Colorado.EDU
Tue Nov 16 20:23:54 UTC 2004

At the risk of blowing my own horn, let me again refer you to my little
paper in the IJAL issue dedicated to Eric Hamp (1985:4, p. 561-2).  The
"ch" is not from *k at all, but from *y (as are many other Dakotan
aspirated c's).  Although I have never pinned down the environments
completely, there are many places where a Lak /k/ simply deleted at some
earlier stage of the language, especially after /i/.  The dative of kaga
is an example: *ki-kaga becomes *ki-aga, develops an epenthetic */y/, and
that */y/ becomes /ch/ by regular sound change.
	Perhaps another example of this k-deletion is the suus form of the
ka- prefixed verbs, which is gla, maybe from *kya from *ki-ka.

David

David S. Rood
Linguistics - Univ. of Colorado
295 UCB