Instrumentals (was Re: "vertitive" ...)

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Fri Oct 8 16:38:03 UTC 2004

I'm glad someone is addressing one of my major annoyances.  How do I
talk about the prefixes pa-, na-, ya-, po-, ka-, yu-, etc. in the same
paragraph as the prefix i- on verbs??  I can't use 'instrumental' for
both, yet that is how many Siouanists have handled it in the past.  In
one paper I used 'instrumental' vs. 'instrumentive', (I'll let you guess
which was which) but I suspect that only confuses readers more.

Bob