Biloxi update

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 10 18:58:29 UTC 2004

Hi Bob:

Thanks for your reply and information.  This, of course, leads me to a few other questions:

--John R. Swanton and James Owen Dorsey, A Dictionary of the Biloxi and Ofo Languages. BAE Bulletin 47, 1912. Paula Einaudi's U. of Colorado dissertation from about '74 is based on D&S and is a good starting place for further work.  The Smithsonian has Dorsey's original Biloxi field notes which may contain additional information.--  Can the dictionary be special ordered perhaps through Borders or Amazon.com?  May I request a copy of Einaudi's dissertation from U of Colorado by phone or email to be sent to me?  Whom would I contact at the Smithsonian to get copies of Dorsey's field notes?

--I don't think another "dissertation length" treatise would cover it. It is
pretty much a career's worth of work for somebody.  I hope you or someone else will work with what's available.-- As I've said on this list before, I am quite willing and able to work on documenting a Siouan language and would appreciate the opportunity.  I already have some Siouan background with the VERY basic knowledge of Hiraca, which I took a passive interest in and have spoken with John B. about, and some VERY limited knowledge of Hocak based on copies of papers I received while in Chicago.

I would imagine documenting an "extinct" language has its own problems, since there are no longer native speakers left with which to confirm data.  But I suppose it also has its advantages in that one doesn't have to go through the long and difficult process of establishing rapports with native speakers and become involved in tribal politics which I've heard sometimes happens in field work.  It seems my main difficulty would just be in gathering, from a distance, all the extant materials and prior work that has been done.

I'm also curious about one other thing: since I currently have an MA (not a PhD) in linguistics, would it be too illogical to assume that once one is already involved in analysis of a language, that it would be easier to be accepted to a PhD-granting university?  I mean if I were to make a career of analyzing a language and would be developing the material for a dissertation anyway, and then some!, wouldn't this also suggest easier acceptance into a program?  I have actually considered applying to Canadian or British universities where I understand all that's required is research and a dissertation, and extra course work is not needed as is the case here in the US.  I'm nearly 42 years old, so of course time is an issue for me in achieving a PhD.  Not that I'm hellbent on achieving a PhD (it really doesn't matter that much to me either way) but since I'd already be doing the research and work that a dissertation would entail, why not?

Thanks again for your feedback and answering my many questions!

Dave

"R. Rankin" <rankin at ku.edu> wrote:
The place to start with Biloxi is John R. Swanton and James Owen Dorsey, A
Dictionary of the Biloxi and Ofo Languages. BAE Bulletin 47, 1912. Paula
Einaudi's U. of Colorado dissertation from about '74 is based on D&S and is a
good starting place for further work. I reviewed the book for IJAL and have
written a few additional papers on Biloxi and Ofo. The Smithsonian has Dorsey's
original Biloxi field notes which may contain additional information. Gatschet
did a little earlier field work incorporated by Dorsey. Mary Haas located a
woman in about 1934 who could remember a few words of Biloxi and she published a
paper in IJAL in about 1968 entitled "The last words of Biloxi". Randy Graczyk
has a nice paper on Biloxi switch-reference particles in MS form.

There is much about Biloxi morphosyntax that needs clarification. Einaudi's
sketch is a beginning, but the definitive Biloxi grammar is yet to be written.
I don't think another "dissertation length" treatise would cover it. It is
pretty much a career's worth of work for somebody. Not me -- I have noodled
around with it, but I'm too old and have too much on my plate already. I hope
you or someone else will work with what's available.

Hint: Take Dorsey's two series of stop consonants (plain and with subscript
dots) seriously. They represent distinct phonological series that were missed
by virtually everybody after Dorsey.

Another hint: A single linguist per language guarantees totally inadequate
coverage. There is still much to analyze in Dakotan, and numerous linguists
have been trying to understand how that language works for well over 150 years.
The other Siouan languages haven't seen nearly as much work. There's plenty to
do with both texts and speakers in a variety of languages, and if it's done
right, both speakers and linguists will appreciate the effort.

Bob