Biloxi update

Anthony Grant Granta at edgehill.ac.uk
Mon Oct 11 12:13:12 UTC 2004

Dave:

yes, the book has the texts as well as the vocab (and see Mary Haas'
artile on the last words of Biloxi in IJAL in, I think, 1968 for one
other lexical item).   For my money, Ofo is a bit more divergent in some
respects. (I don't know Tutelo well enough to judge.)   But divergence
can also imply archaism.  My advice on mastering comparative Siouan?
Saturate yourself in the relevant works of Rankin and Rood (certainly
start with their works).

Someone should do a Comparative Siouan Reader one day, ditto for Alg,
Caddoan, Iroquoian, Uto-Aztecan, Muskogean...(anyone spot a trend
here?).

Best

Anthony

>>> dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com 11/10/2004 03:36:17 >>>
Already ordered a copy of the dictionary--a used hardback in "good"
condition through Amazon.  Should be arriving in the next week or so.
I'm not sure if this one has the texts in it, but a NEW copy (which was
all I saw) with texts costs $99.00!  A bit much at the moment.
Eventually I'm sure I'll get it, but I'll see where I get with the other
things, especially the ordered dictionary, first.

Are these U of Colorado Siouan archives something I can access online?
Also going to track down the IJAL article.  So, Bob, you mentioned you
did a couple of papers on Biloxi-Ofo?  Is this something you could email
copies of, or forward via snail mail?

I'm also wondering if, since Biloxi is the farthest afield of the
Siouan languages, it is also the most divergent?  I know in the case of
Cherokee it became the most divergent of the Iroquois family because of
its fairly early shift farther south.  Wonder if the same is true of
Biloxi in the Siouan family.  It'll be interesting to compare Hidatsa,
in the far north, with Biloxi, in the far south, to see how much these
two Siouan languages have diverged.

Thanks again!

Dave

"R. Rankin" <rankin at ku.edu> wrote:
Oh, and don't forget the computer files of D&S's texts and dictionaries
at the
U. of Colorado's Siouan Archive. It was recorded in the older ASCII
symbol set
with all-CAPS and numerals for diacritics, but it can be dubbed down
into
Windows symbols/formatting by you. It's much easier to search than the
book
(which should always be on hand for double checking for typoes.

Bob