Biloxi update

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Mon Oct 11 16:39:08 UTC 2004

>  Are these U of Colorado Siouan archives something I can access
online?  Also going to track down the IJAL article.  So, Bob, you
mentioned you did a couple of papers on Biloxi-Ofo?  Is this something
you could email copies of, or forward via snail mail?

[RLR: ]  Basically, I estabilished that Biloxi had two stop series for
certain, probably aspirated and unaspirated, but we don't know the exact
phonetic correlates.  Everyone else had "normalized" it to a single
series and disregarded Dorsey's diacritics.  I may have a printout of
that somewhere.  At this year's siouan conference I also did a talk on
what happened to the active/stative split in OVS.  You'll need to talk
with David Rood about the computer files.

I'm also wondering if, since Biloxi is the farthest afield of the Siouan
languages, it is also the most divergent?  I know in the case of
Cherokee it became the most divergent of the Iroquois family because of
its fairly early shift farther south.  Wonder if the same is true of
Biloxi in the Siouan family.

[RLR: ]  I'm not sure what "most divergent" would mean.  Catawba is
certainly the most divergent, but it's so different we don't consider it
Siouan per-se (although there's no reason why you couldn't).  Blair can
fill you in on what's available there.  Within Siouan proper I don't
know that any of the three attested OVS languages is "more divergent"
than the rest.  The whole subgroup is different from the other major
subgroups, but the inventory of grammatical categories in OVS is
essentially the same familiar one as MVS.  Personally, I consider Crow
the most different from what I have experience with, but that's just me.