Biloxi update

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 06:51:19 UTC 2004

--The extinction of the Biloxi langauge shouldn't be confused with the
extinction of the Biloxi people. They're still around, if consolidated
with other groups.--  I googled the web and found the info on Tunica-Biloxi.  I wonder, if there's still a sizeable community of descendants, if they'd be interested in a language revitalization program at some point in the future, once the language has been adequately documented....

I saw in another email that it's suggested that knowledge of Muskogean helps with Biloxi.  But Muskogean of course is a different family.  Is this because of close proximity and influence, such as the case with Latin Rumanian and its Baltic/Slavic influences due its closer geographic proximity to these non-Latin languages?

Thanks for the info!

Dave

Koontz John E <John.Koontz at colorado.edu> wrote:
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, David Kaufman wrote:
> I would imagine documenting an "extinct" language has its own problems,
> since there are no longer native speakers left with which to confirm
> data.

The operative phrase is hapax legomenon. Learn to love it.

> But I suppose it also has its advantages in that one doesn't have to go
> through the long and difficult process of establishing rapports with
> native speakers and become involved in tribal politics which I've heard
> sometimes happens in field work.

The extinction of the Biloxi langauge shouldn't be confused with the
extinction of the Biloxi people. They're still around, if consolidated
with other groups.

http://www.tunica.org/
http://users.aol.com/donh523/navapage/tunica.htm
http://www.nsula.edu/folklife/database/cultures/NativeAmer/TunicaBiloxi.html
http://www.eda.gov/ImageCache/EDAPublic/documents/pdfdocs/20louisiana_2epdf/v1/20louisiana.pdf

That's just a sample of what you get by googling "biloxi tribe." It
doesn't deal with any remants in Texas, etc.

http://mail.yahoo.com