Biloxi update

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Oct 12 16:52:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Alan H. Hartley wrote:
> > The operative phrase is hapax legomenon.
>
> Well, by a stretch, maybe. A hapax legomenon is a word or phrase that
> appears only once in the record (i.e., 'once' meaning 'one time only,'
> not 'at some time in the past').

That's what I meant.  Things that appear once in the texts.  If they are
puzzling - they aren't always - you have the problem that you can't get
additional examples to work them out.  There are other issues, too of
course.  For example, even multiple examples are not enough sometimes, if
they are all the same, or inadequate in some other way.