Balkan tongues (was: biloxi update)

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Oct 14 13:28:49 UTC 2004

>> (Dave) The only other similarity and possible influence I can think of
off-hand
is that both Bulgarian and Rumanian have post-posed definite articles,
e.g. Bulg. cveteto (-to) and Rum. calul (-ul), although this trait isn't
shared by Greek; I don't know about other Balkan languages.  This is of
course the opposite of other Mod Latin languages which have the article
before the noun. <<

> (Alfred) My guess is that the Balkan substrate (Dacian?) might have had
this
> feature (of post-posed definite articles) and some languages (like
> Latin) were 'open' to it (homo ille vs. ille homo -> omul - l'uomo,
> l'homme) but others were not. Yet, this doesn't work well for Slavic
> tongues (cf. Bulgarian!).

Swedish, and I suppose Norwegian and Danish, have post-posed definite
articles too.  What about Gothic?

Rory